Sunday, September 4, 2016

Oh Scrap! : I Can't Help Myself



As I was working on my Summer Solstice quilt this weekend, I realized I had miscut a bunch of my solid squares.  They were all a bit too big and needed to be trimmed by 3/4" on two sides.  Once I recut them, I was left with this little pile.  Well, this is where my crazy kicks in!




I just couldn't bring myself to toss all those little strings. 
So I got out my trays of 2.5" squares and started sewing.




Then I thought maybe my bin of leftover bindings could be used as a final frame for the block.  They were super easy to square up using a 6.5" ruler.



I am now using these for a leader/ender project and making a lot of progress.  My plan is to keep with the green, blue, gray and black color scheme.  We shall see how far I get!

So much for not wanting to start another project....

*****************************

Now it is time to link up and share what scrappy projects you have worked on this week.  Here are the details for linking up:
  • This linky party is for any scrappy project - It can be in-process or a finished piece.
  • You can link up your blog post (not your homepage please) or Instagram photo from the past week that features your use of scraps.
  • If you are linking to a blog post, I ask that you link back to my blog somewhere in your post. So if you are writing about scraps, just get into the habit of including a link as there will be a linky party available every week!
  • If you are using Instagram, please use the hashtag #ohscrap.
  • This is a party so remember to socialize and comment on the posts of others.
  • Following my blog is not necessary but it sure would be great if you do!
Quilting is more fun than Housework

So if you love scrappy projects, feel free to grab my button for your sidebar or posts and get ready to share all your wonderful projects from scraps.  And if you have a great idea for using scraps and would like to be featured, feel free to contact me!








Linking Up:

Love Laugh Quilt (Monday Making)
Patchwork Times (Design Wall Monday)
Cooking Up Quilts (Main Crush Mondays)
Em's ScrapBag (Moving it Forward)

35 comments:

SandraC said...

It's amazing how one thing just leads to another! I love it!

Jan @Cocoa Quilts said...

Its is great how your brain and scraps worked together to make those cute blocks. It will be a great quilt.

Judy H said...

So cute. Loving the look of the squares. You are so clever.

Libby in TN said...

Ooh, I like it! Fiddle, but oh so cool.

Deb from frugal little bungalow said...

I had to laugh when you said your crazy was kicking in but what a nice path your crazy leads you to! :)

Jayne said...

You have now gone to the 'dark' side with your scraps! Welcome!! I really like the tiny frame around the center! You can not want to start a new project all you want...they find you and take over before you realize it!

Jo said...

If that's what crazy is then it's great. These blocks are coming out fine.
Your project will be amazing

Cathy said...

Great idea to use those scraps right away instead of letting them pile up (like I do). And it's such a cute block besides. Nice color scheme too.

I never used to really like solids in quilts but I've seen so many awesome quilts lately made with just solids that I really liked. I guess it is because there are so many more colors in solids available now than there were in the old days. And that's a good thing!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I can totally relate to your scrappiness!!

Emma Robertson said...

Great blocks, they look fab. Good job you cut those original squares too big rather than too small! :0) xx

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Oh, I think they are fabulously crazy!!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Those are pretty! I love the way the strings make a tiny frame arund the inside square! What are the measurements of your finished blocks?

Kathy E. said...

Isn't it great to find a new use for scraps and have it turn out so cute! What fun! I can't bear to throw out strips like that either. Now you've got me thinking...un-oh! :)

Ariane said...

Your blocks are super cute!! Amazing way to use those little scraps!

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

I love how the trimmings led to a beautiful new project. I saw your original comment about it on IG, and I'm really liking how you added to the blocks. The thin border is nice!

Mari said...

Way to make lemonade out of lemons! This will be a really cute quilt.

Vic in NH said...

Thank you for hostessing the linky party and your blocks are cute and modern!

Anne / Springleaf Studios said...

Good for you! You've found a great way to use the little pieces. I had to laugh though because I've always been inclined to save every little scrap and then rarely use them. Lately I've actually forced myself to toss the tiny pieces and only save the bigger chunks.

Dolores said...

Well, better bigger than smaller. Having to re-cut is never fun. Nice save, though.

Robby said...

Great solution to that little 'problem'. So glad it was trim things down and not buy more fabric and recut them bigger!

Anita C said...

Oh wish I hadn't seen this one.... Just cleaning out massive pile of scraps and usually toss most things under 2" wide but have seen your string blocks and so moved down to 1 1/2". Now I'm thinking I need to re-look at those smaller ones. You are always such an inspiration...

Teresa in Music City said...

Oh. My. Gosh!!!! That is just too darn stinkin' cute!!! As much as i tend to cling to every scrap, I'm afraid i would have thrown those suckers away. Good for you for seeing the potential and getting creative with them!!!

gayle said...

Isn't it fun the lengths we'll go to to find a use for those last little bits! Wonderful save!

Wendy said...

Your creative brain really kicks in with scraps. I need to learn to think more out of the box with my scraps, so thanks for your posts. The little squares are coming together for a very cute quilt!

Linda said...

Love the colours you have chosen for your leader and ender blocks. It will be a great quilt. Good idea to use those narrow strings.

Clare M said...

That's so funny and so typical of a quilter, lol. Love the colourway.

Stitchin At Home said...

I love the new project, great colourway.

Val's Quilting Studio said...

You always inspire me with your simple, yet wonderful ideas!

Susan said...

Love, love, love that pop of teal around the center block - really adds a great pop!

Bonnie said...

How darling and what a feeling of accomplishment you must have on this one. But, honestly, please, please don't let any of these cute little blocks rub off on me. I save way too much as it is! Enjoy your blocks because they are wonderful.

SherryB said...

Oh wow...you have such a creative mind. I would have tossed those strings in an instant, but look at what a cute project you've started! Maybe some of your "craziness" will rub off on me, I can only hope to recognize those little pieces as "kindling" for new blocks.

Kate said...

You definitely think well on your feet. Love the new blocks. What a great way to make the most of an error. I'd ask if it makes you think you should make more mistakes, but that's probably not the direction any of us would want to go!

Sewmotion said...

Haha! I love your style, these strips work so well in that dinky block, well done on saving them and not giving in to the madness :)

Beth @ Cooking Up Quilts said...

*Love* the color scheme - this will be an adorable quilt! Your scraps are soooo organized - that little bin of squares looks like so much fun to play with. :)

Jasmine said...

That quilt is going to be so cute. Sounds serendipitous.

01 09 10