Friday, May 13, 2016

Getting Closer

I don't normally celebrate the completion of a quilt top...but this week I am making an exception!



 This project has been stuffed in a bag and hidden away in a drawer for close to a decade.  The entire quilt was cut, some of the blocks were sewn and the pattern was missing.  I had considered adopting it out many times but it was a hot mess and I wasn't sure someone else could make heads or tails out of it.  



I finally just started putting the bits together like a puzzle.  Once I had a sense of what was there, I recognized the pattern as one in a Kaffe Fassett book (Quilts in the Sun), so I was able to refer to that - which made assembly a whole lot easier!





 I did end up short a few pieces but thankfully I still had some of the fabrics.  I cannot believe my oldest WIP is one step closer to a finished quilt!  This is certainly something to celebrate!



While I was outside photographing the quilt top, I had to snap a few photos of my gardens.  Right now all my lewisia in my succulent garden is in bloom. Such amazing little flowers!



Linking Up:

Crazy Mom Quilts (Finish it up Friday)


22 comments:

Vic in NH said...

Congratulations for the persistence to get this long lost project back on track! It's a beauty and that wild orange is very stylish.

Libby in TN said...

Well, if any quilt deserved recognition for a finish, this one is it! I had to do something similar to my Wink & Smile recently when I couldn't find the pattern but I luckily had a finished block to go by. We do what we gotta do!

Vicki in MN said...

I think you are entitled to celebrate a decade old project a bit before it's completion!! I know I would, LOL. Gorgeous flower!

Carol said...

BEautiful! So glad you stuck with it!

Jo said...

Such a pretty flow and great progress on your quilt

Robby said...

It sounds (and looks) like finishing this one will be time for a happy dancy. Happy to be done and happy to have another colorful FO.

Rachel said...

That sounds like a challenge worth celebrating! Glad you recognized the pattern so it could help you out!

Judy H said...

love the quilt. glad it's out in the light now.

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

Your oldest WIP is not pieced? That is definitely something to celebrate. And how awesome that you recognized the pattern AND had some fabric to fill in the gaps. Congratulations!

Jayne said...

Honestly...this is gorgeous! I cannot believe you stuffed it away Cynthia! Well worth a share and tooting your horn! The flowers are gorgeous too!

Carole @ Fresh off the Frame said...

Good thing you stuck with it and figured things out - it's looking great! Celebrate away!!! Hopefully you still like it as much as you did when you first started. :-) Well done!

Jasmine said...

I'm so glad you figured it out. It's beautiful and great to celebrate.

Sarah@123quilt said...

That is definitely worth celebrating! It looks wonderful!

cityquilter grace said...

always feels oh so good to whack away at old UFOs...gorgeous

Celtic Thistle said...

Congratulations on sticking with that quilt, I would definitely have been tempted to hide it away for another decade if I had lost the pattern. Well done you for recognising the pattern so quickly :)

em's scrapbag said...

This is stunning! Love your fabric choice. Glad you stuck with it.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That is a happy quilt! You reminded me of a couple very long term WiPs I have! (Did I get them out? No. But I will, one day!). Love the peek at your garden! Give us more, please!

Barb Neiwert said...

Bet you have a fine sense of accomplishment with this finish! And now you have more room in those drawers to stash another project, hee hee hee. Love that little flower!

Lois said...

Well done you - I also quilted up a nice little quilt I made the top for last year - it feels good and I realised I should do t more often:)))))

Mary Marcotte said...

Doesn't it feel wonderful to pick up a WIP and finish it? Especially one this beautiful? Your flowers are gorgeous! I've seen those before (I think) but did not know the name. Love them!

Carie @ Space for the Butterflies said...

Now that is dedication to a project after so many years! It's a lovely pattern too and such gorgeous colours!

Lara B. said...

Great detective work Cyndy! And that explains the lack of a pattern too. It's a beautiful quilt!
I learned not to rely on my memory for what I was doing, even with UFO's that are only a year old, LOL.

01 09 10