Wednesday, December 4, 2013

WIP Wednesday

It is Work In Progress Wednesday so I thought I would share the headway I have been making on my Churn Dash quilt.  Its low volume color density is a real reversal for me but I do like the vintage feel to it.





Almost all of the blocks are done and I have been playing with layouts.  I quickly decided the quilt was a bit boring and wanted something to break up the monotony. 



Whenever I find this happening, I just change the scale of the blocks in a few areas to break up the pattern and add some interest.  As I am using up some scraps I have, I couldn't go with a few giant blocks so I had to settle on some tiny ones.  
The math was a little challenging but I did get it right the first time!

(sigh) So now rather than having a few blocks to finish, I have almost as many as I have made so far.   Guess I won't be finishing this top today!


https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/5198185

Linking up with Lee at Freshly Pieced, Cindy at Live a Colorful Life and Kelly at My Quilt Infatuation.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great Churn Dashes...I love how you have varied the size.

One Wee Bird said...

I'm in love with the churn dash block myself and love the different sizes

Sara said...

Very nice work and the little ones are the best!

Tami C said...

The Churn Dash is one of my most favorite blocks. I have a 2 Color Churn Dash quilt on my To Do List!

ChristaQuilts said...

I really like the variety of scale for those blocks!

Terri Ann @ ChildlikeFascination.com said...

The scale change is so neat! What a fabulous idea. It's going to be beautiful when it's complete.

Anonymous said...

I love it. The addition of the smaller blocks is a good idea.
Carol O

Chris Dodsley @made by ChrissieD said...

Love the change of scale block, it really adds that bit of interest to draw the eye :D

Lauren Deel said...

I have been working on churn dash blocks today for the first time. They must be my new favorite! (Though... I think I say that every time I try something new. :) ) I do love how you changed the scale for the one block (so far) - that looks great!

Thanks for the tip - I will remember that for the future.

SewPsyched! said...

lol! isnt that always the way it goes :)

Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation said...

varying the size of your blocks is looking great! I love churn dashes!

Thank you so much for sharing at Needle and Thread Thursday!

:) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

Patricia said...

I always can come up with a better design that takes longer too! LOL

Unknown said...

I like that you are adding the two sizes. Gives it a different look.

Nrhaller said...

Okay, I'm interested now in the math you did to figure out the smaller size....or for a larger size. Is it something you can write down....or more something you just do trial and error? Did not even think about it until you mentioned math. Thanks for sharing, and I do love how much more interesting the quilt will be now that you've varied the block sizes. Brilliant!

01 09 10