Friday, September 27, 2013

French General Quilt

When I was doing a little tidying up in my sewing room, I came across some French General fabrics that I have been collecting up for quite some time.  All of this fabric was "gifted" to me from various friends (aren't they wonderful!).  And as most of it was leftover jelly roll strips that didn't make the cut for other projects, I had strips of varying length, chunks of prints that were less than a fat quarter and one large piece of yardage that was suitable for a back.




Rather than stick it back in a drawer, I decided to just sew it up into a quilt top.  Once I figured how big the backing was, I started decided on a pattern for the front.  Before I knew it, the top was pieced and the project was loaded onto my longarm to be quilted.  Not having a lot of time to quilt it, I just stitched in some over lapping squares.




 Thought I would share as these square and rectangular blocks are perfect for using up those 2 1/2" strips.  And the combination of 61/2" square and 12 1/2" x 6 1/2" rectangular blocks allow you to play with all sorts of layouts. 

I am happy to say I used up all the fabric except a half yard of one of the stripes.  I stored that one away for use as a binding on a future quilt.  Now to figure out what to do next...



Linking up with Crazy Mom Quilts for Finish it up Fridays, Cherry Valley Designs for TGIFF,  Link a Finish Friday at Richard and Tanya Quilts and Can I get a Whoop Whoop? Fridays at Confessions of a Fabric Addict.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! It turned out great!

Sarah @ mila+cuatro said...

I agree, it turned out great!

Joanie's Trendy Quilts said...

Fabulous and made quite quickly!

Anonymous said...

Love the overlapping squares effect.....great job.

Unknown said...

I love the colors! Beautifully stitched!

Barb Neiwert said...

You are doing really well using up all those leftovers! Makes me want to tackle my long-lost fabrics, too!

Ruth said...

Nice design. I really like the finished quilt.

Susan at TheBoredZombie.com said...

Oh! Nice! I really like that quilting pattern. I've been thinking about how to deal with my bowser quilt and this variation of what was floating around in my head might be perfect. :)

Lynette said...

What an amazing use of scraps. :D I really, really like how this turned out - such a modern pattern and such lovely toned-down traditional fabrics. The simple quilting is perfect for it, even.

01 09 10